Landscaping Around Trees – Things to Keep in Mind
Trees offer lots of benefits in any given area. It can do loads of good if you have many of them within your property. And to add more charm and design, you could have some landscaping around trees. This way, you can spend an afternoon sitting under a tree completely shaded from the heat of the sun.
Landscaping Around Trees
I’ve seen many landscaping ideas around trees of different designs. Each offers beauty and charm of its own. And if you want, you could also add a flower bed to surround the tree. Talk about getting the most out of a good landscaping idea. Building a wall or block around a tree has to be done cautiously. Otherwise, you could be harming the tree.
Here’s a practical steps to guide you with this project:
1. Mark the outline of the area where you’re going to set the blocks. In this step, you have to make sure that you provide the roots of the tree adequate space for its nourishment. A good 3-6 feet from the trunk would be good enough but you also need to keep in mind the relative size of the tree.
To make sure the block is built at an even distance, you can tie a rope at the base of the trunk. Then you can simply use this as a guide to mark the area where you’ll be setting the landscaping around trees.
2. Once you’ve defined the circle where you’re going to set the blocks, you need to dig 2-3 inches down. Make sure the roots of the tree is not harmed when you do this. After digging, you need to level the area where you’ll set the blocks. You can use a plate compacter if you have this tool to make this process easier.
3. Set the foundation of the block. For this step, you need to select the most even blocks that you have. set the blocks in its place. In some instances, you may have to adjust the blocks, use a rubber mallet or even remove it to retamp the soil. This is done to make sure that the foundation is evenly built.
4. Stack the blocks to build the wall around the tree. Make sure that the bricks or blocks are stacked in such a way that makes it very sturdy and durable. One good way of ensuring this is to alternate the joints the way you see most bricks are stacked. This is done to make sure that there are no continuous seams that makes it likely for the whole structure to collapse easily.
5. Prepare and plant a bed or add some embellishment. Some tree allows for a plant bed added within the wall blocks while other trees like oak trees releases acidic secretions which makes it virtually impossible for any other plant to grow within the ring. In such case, you can add some designs to the blocks to make it nice to look at even when it is on its own.…